Monday, July 14, 2008

A Day Sometime in June

8:07
I am sitting at my desk. My computer has just booted up. I hear Dwightina stomping up the stairs. She walks like a wooly mammoth. I hear her stop behind me. I ignore her and keep typing. "What's up Banana Boy?" Dwightina says. I am wearing a muted yellow polo shirt, I assume this is what she is talking about. I swivel slowly around in my chair. She is standing in front of me wearing bright orange Crocs, blue jeans with rhinestone designs on the pockets, and a white tee-shirt with a picture of a race car on the front and the words "I Live By the Quarter Mile." Our company has a business casual dress code. Dwightina's outfit is especially bad for her, but not unprecedented.
"Um, white tee-shirt?" I say.
"No, I mean that is just a very bright shirt you have there."
"Um, white tee-shirt?"
"Very preppy."
This time I just point at her shirt. She looks down, and then back at me blankly. I swivel back to my computer screen.

9:46
I get a phone call from a nurse at the Hospital.
"Good morning, How can I help y..."
"Our fax machine in ICU is eating paper and making a screaming noise. We need somebody over here STAT."
STAT she says. I want to tell her that she is not a doctor. Don't tell me STAT unless you have a PhD. You are a nurse. Doctors tell you that. It's not a term you get to throw around with me.

12:00 - 1:00
I buy a sandwich from Subway and then wander aimlessly in Borders.

1:00 - 5:00
Nothing much happens in the afternoon. Sometimes the phone rings. The air-conditioner switches on. A little while later it shuts off. I mostly pass the time with random Google searches. Did you know that Hyenas give birth through their urethra? Apparently it is one of the most painful experiences that any living thing experiences. I feel pity for a few seconds; then I remember how annoying Whoopi Goldberg's character was in The Lion King, and I'm back to hating Hyenas.

2 comments:

Kelly Bagdanov said...

I think I could have gone my whole life without that information about hyena's.

T.S.B. said...

Maybe, but I am thinking you are a better person armed with the information.